The Data Import tool is one of the most frequently requested features we encounter while setting up data in NetSuite.
The challenges of manually importing CSV files into NetSuite
If you're bulk importing data into your NetSuite ERP system from an existing data source, or migrating to NetSuite from a legacy system, the data import functionality is a must-have.
In NetSuite, the CSV Import Assistant imports business and customer data (POs, contacts, quotes, etc.) from comma-delimited CSV files for common record types.
If you use the CSV Import Assistant on a daily basis you've probably noticed the substantial amount of time and manual effort required to import data and perform actions like:
- Scan & Upload File
- Select an Import Type
- Select a Record Type for Import
- Choose Import Character Encoding
- Select File for Import
- Mapping the CSV File
To overcome these challenges our NetSuite team developed a custom script that automates the data import process and allows you to schedule data file imports ahead of time.
The solution to overcoming the manual data import process in NetSuite
The automation process fetches the data file from a specific drive or location and transfers the same to the NetSuite file cabinet, where, based on mapping, the program will create or populate the respective records in NetSuite. The processed data file is moved to a specified, archive NetSuite file cabinet, which can be referred to for future use.
What this white paper covers
- How ennVee created a custom script to automate the CSV data file import process in NetSuite.
- Automating the file transfer process from the Local/shared drive to the NetSuite File cabinet, and automatically importing CSV data into the NetSuite database.
- Simplifying the mapping of CSV data to NetSuite records and allowing the data to be updated based on business requirements.
- Automating the transfer of processed files to NetSuite archive folders.
- Using Preferred Encodings while transferring files to NetSuite.
- Scheduling data imports based on business requirements and using the same approach in NetSuite when importing data or updating records in the system.
- Improving data accuracy while reducing time and manual effort.